Cultural Competency Program for Disaster Preparedness and Crisis Response
A free, online educational program accredited for disaster and emergency personnel.
About This Program
Research shows that cultural minority groups suffer disproportionately during every phase of a disaster. This e-learning program will equip you with the knowledge, skills, and awareness to best serve all individuals, regardless of cultural or linguistic background.
- EMT/First Responders
- Emergency Managers
- Psychologists and Psychiatrists
- Social Workers
- Any disaster or emergency response personnel interested in learning more about culturally and linguistically appropriate services
- Course 1 provides an introduction to CLAS and its relevance to disaster preparedness and crisis response.
- Course 2 covers how to provide CLAS during the preparation phase of a disaster, including conducting a community needs assessment.
- Course 3 covers how to provide CLAS during the response phase of a disaster, including meeting physical and mental health needs.
- Course 4 covers how to provide CLAS during the recovery phase of a disaster, including rebuilding neighborhoods.
EMT/First Responders - 9 hours
This continuing education activity is approved by the Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE) for 9 CEH First Responder.
Psychologists/Psychiatrists - 9 hours
Cine-Med, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Cine-Med, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Cine-Med, Inc. designates this educational activity for a maximum of 9 CE Credits. Participants should claim credit commensurate only with the extent of their participation of the activity.
Social Workers - 9 hours
Social workers completing this course receive 9 intermediate continuing education credits.
The following states do not accept National CE Approval Programs and require individual program/provider application processes: NY, MI, WV.
The following states currently do not recognize NASW National Approval. Applications can be submitted to NASW State Chapters: NJ, ID, OR.
This program is approved by the National Association of Social Workers for Social Work continuing education contact hours. The following states do not accept National CE Approval Programs: CA, MI, NC, & WV.
Dentists, hygienists, and assistants - 12 hours
The Indian Health Service (IHS) Division of Oral Health is an ADA CERP recognized provider. The IHS Division of Oral Health designates this course up to 12 hours.
National CLAS Standards
This e-learning program is grounded in the HHS Office of Minority Health's National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in Health and Health Care.
The program is intended to support the delivery of culturally and linguistically competent services and the implementation of the National CLAS Standards.